Monday, June 4, 2007

Romney's results on Google.

When I typed in Mitt Romney into the search engine Google, I got 1.8 million hits the first time and then 2.16 million hits the second time. I’m not sure why there were additional hits in a search five minutes later, but it does show that Mitt Romney has a strong presence on the internet and this seems like it will make a difference in helping him reach potential voters. Of course, no person will go through every single hit they receive, instead people will go through the first few sites that pop up, and most likely will look at the “sponsored links” first because they are on the top right always. These top websites ranged from ones that had good, concrete info like his official website and ones like declareyourself.com, to sites that were more for entertainment like youtube.com and proGOPgear.com where you can buy t-shirts and stuff to show your support. There were even sites against Romney that came up like ConservativesAgainstRomney.com, which even though this was negative it still showed he has a strong internet presence. What I found though, was that each time I typed in Mitt Romney, I got different results for the websites that popped up. Most interestingly I found that instead of just getting Mitt Romney websites, there were also other Republican candidates that came up. In particular, and I don’t know how this happened, but every time I typed in Mitt Romney to google’s search engine, a top website was always one for John McCain and how you could get info on him and donate money. I guess this was smart on McCain’s part and unfortunate for Romney.

No comments: